Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Creating Winter Planters

You may remember that I was extremely late in getting my planters going this summer.

Since the potatoe vine died with the first frost in September I was forced to update the planters for the fall season.  A simple combination of pumpkins and guards around the still healthy ornamental grass had us ready for Halloween.  Then shortly after halloween (like the next day) the pumpkins froze. 

Time to winterize the planters.

The ornamental grasses, although dead, were still standing up and I just couldn't seem to give them the old heave hoe so I decided to include them in my winter planters.  They would act as a good filler but just needed a little more color to them.  A light dusting with Krylon's Cherry Red spray paint still left them with their variegated color but added a bit of cheer.


After they had dried the pots were then taken back to their culvert stands where I filled them in with cedar, spruce and fir boughs collected by my mother at out family cabin.  Thanks Mom.


The green and red are a perfect combination on their own so I simply added a few neutrals that I found around the house for contrast.  I cut a piece of burlap (the very loose kind that you wrap your trees in for the winter) in half and tied it around each culvert.  Then I found the wooden flowers and balls in my storage room.  Rather than just set them in amongst the greenery and have them blow away with the first wind, I hot glued them to a piece of wire and stuck them in the dirt.


Using different types of greenery gave me some great, simple, tone on tone texture.


Once the ground is blanketed with snow they will really stand out.   Natural and free.  You can't beat that.

Update: The culvert planters came from my friend but they can be purchased in various sizes from any farm and ranch store.  UFA, and Country Living are a few options in my area that carry them.


Linking To: Simply Creation, Frugalicious Friday, Remodelaholic's Anonymous, Flaunt it Friday, Show and Share, Tickled Pink, Free For All Fridays



7 comments:

  1. Great job- they look amazing! I love the blend of metal with natural pine elements. And the variation in height and color of the plants is gorgeous! It will also look great when the first snowfall arrives! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i need all the tips i can get, my poor plants!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you find the culverts to purchase?

    ReplyDelete
  4. These planters are amazing! I'd love for you to stop by and link up to my first ever link party @ tiarasandbowties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will spray paint just about anything but this is brilliant....love it. I am your newest follower and would love it if you would follow me back and get in on my driftwood sailboat give-a-way. Sherron
    http://smallholdings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your entryway is drop dead gorgeous! You were about to lose me when I saw the first picture of your painted dead grasses, but it works! Looks great with the evergreens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool!! They look awesome!
    Thanks for sharing at Show & Share!

    ReplyDelete